Baby Announcement Ideas
You've discovered that you're pregnant and your mind is reeling. There's so much to do and plan for, but first — you gotta share the good news with your friends and family! Baby announcements make this monumental moment so simple, and there are so many ways you can involve the special people in your life.
First, you have to decide when to share the news? Some people like to wait until they're 12 weeks along and therefore, in the "safe" period. Others want to share it right away, and then there are those who want to wait until they know the gender.
And those are all okay, there's absolutely no wrong time to share the news — after all, it's your news to share! If you're looking for some inspirational ideas on how to do that, Gender Reveal Celebrations has you covered.
Revealing the Pregnancy to Partner
If you're an expectant mother looking for a cute way to announce your pregnancy to your partner, you'll want to dial up the creativity factor.
- Buy an Outfit — since you won't know the gender for quite a few weeks at this point, choose something gender-neutral and don't forget the booties! The booties should sit on top so they're the first item greeting dad-to-be. A little card saying "we're expecting," should do the trick, just in case the shock makes his brain temporarily stop working.
- Create a Custom Wine Label — if you and your partner like to enjoy wine with your dinner, or while you're relaxing, this is the perfect time to put your design skills to work. Add a custom message that says "Our family is growing by two feet" or something equally cute, with the expected month and year as the "vintage." Instead of wine, though, make sure it's sparkling cider or something else alcohol-free. Pour yourselves both a glass, set the bottle down and wait to see how long it takes your partner to notice. Once they do, prepare for the exclamation and tears.
- Order a Custom T-Shirt — there are plenty of sites where you can order a custom T-shirt with a unique message that reveals your secret. "Daddy Est. 2020" is just one idea, or you can even have a baby bodysuit made with "Congrats, Daddy." The best thing is you can do this for any family member whether it's a grandparent, aunt, uncle, or if your older children are soon to be big brothers or sisters. Have some fun and add your own charm to the idea.
No matter how you decide to do this special reveal, make sure you record your partner's reaction. It'll be one of the many priceless moments you can add to your memory bank.
Announcing at the Beginning of Your Pregnancy
Sometimes, you simply just can't wait to let everyone know you're expecting. In the beginning, you have a few ways you can do this. It all depends on your approach. You can reach everyone at once or opt to reach out to those special few first before you let the rest of the world know.
Social Media Post
While social media has its pros and cons, this is one area where it's definitely positive. You can reach your entire posse on Instagram or Facebook with a single post. Plus, you won't have to worry about it being hidden since it's bound to attract a lot of attention. Be as creative as you want. Buy a pair of baby kicks, or matching T-shirts for mom and dad announcing the upcoming arrival. Be sure to include a picture of your sonogram that you're likely to receive within the first several weeks.
If you're not on social media or don't feel comfortable posting it online, you can have mailers made up. Then you can send these to your family and friends, in lieu of a phone call. Imagine their surprise when they check the mail and discover the good news. Just keep your phone handy, because it's sure to explode with texts and phone calls as your loved ones reach out to congratulate you.
Halfway Through Pregnancy
This is when you can really get creative. Around 20 weeks, you'll have a sonogram to make sure the baby's developing on track. But there's a bonus at this visit — you get to learn the gender if you want to! While many couples do because they want to be prepared, some opt not to discover whether they're having a boy or girl.
Gender Reveal Party
If you do decide to learn the baby's sex, you can use a surprise gender reveal party, to announce you are expecting and the gender in one event. This is where the real fun begins. There are so many products available that you can put to use and make it the revelation of the year.
- Gender Reveal Smoke Bombs — what better way to reveal your baby's gender than with a smoke bomb that coats the air in blue or pink?
- Gender Reveal Confetti Cannons — if colorful smoke isn't your thing, opt for confetti. This confetti is easy to clean up, so you can even set it off inside if you like — tile or hardwood floors recommended. This is perfect for winter announcements in cooler climates where it's too cold for outdoor activities.
- Gender Reveal Balloons — every good party needs balloons and with these, you'll have a few different ways to reveal the gender. You can fill a box with blue or pink balloons that float when you open the flaps. Make sure there's a weight at the bottom of the balloons to keep them from flying away. The other way is you can have the balloons filled with pink or blue powder or confetti. Make a dart game out of it or have the mom- and dad-to-be pop the balloon to reveal the contents.
- Cookies, Cakes or Cupcakes — have a designated secret-keeper get sweets made with a pink or blue filling. When you slice the cake open or everyone bites into the treats, the gender is revealed for everyone.
These are just a few ideas. You can also implement a pinata, use sports reveal items such as a gender reveal baseball or gender reveal soccer ball, depending on what mom and dad share a love of. The point is to get creative and get everyone in on the fun!
Gender reveal parties don't have to be a huge affair. They can be a simple event, with only the expectant grandparents or aunts and uncles in attendance. It's your event — you set the pace.
Motherhood Maternity Shoots
Maternity shoots are good for two reasons. One, you get to document your pregnancy. And, two, the photos you'll receive make excellent pregnancy announcements. Typically a maternity shoot is done around the 30-week mark when your belly's prominent. Of course, you can do it at any time, but most do it within the last 2 months of their pregnancies. Here's your time to really shine. You can put your belly on display in a cute get-up, or you can keep your bump covered — the choice is yours.
- Embrace Your Inner Diva — go all out and dress up. Break out the gown, or the long, flowing dress. Don a flower crown and show everyone just how glamorous motherhood can be. Try to avoid heels, however, since your center of balance is already off. Instead, dress up a pair of flats. Make them sparkle or make them shine. Or, you can pair your favorite kicks with the dress for a dressed-up casual look.
- Get the Family Involved — part of your pregnancy memories undoubtedly involve your immediate family, so why shouldn't they be part of it? If it's your first child, that may simply mean your partner. If you have children already, invite them to join you. You can even dress up in matching outfits or choose a theme depending on the season. And, nothing's cuter than the older sibling comparing his or her belly to mommy's in a side-by-side bump comparison. Of course, you'll be able to get some alone, but having photos with your family in it will add to the occasion.
- Use All the Props — what's a photoshoot without a prop? You need the props. Maybe yours is a flag or fabric scroll with a special message on it, or perhaps you and your partner want to act like the silly goofs you are with hats, masks or fake mustaches on the belly to announce the arrival of a boy. Balloons and banners are two others that you can put to use in so many ways.
The best thing about baby announcements is that you can put your own spin on the occasion. Whether you're telling close friends and family only or announcing it to the entire world, the creativity is in your hands. The most important thing is that you're taking the time to enjoy your pregnancy and share it your way when you're comfortable doing so. So have fun, live it up, and come up with the best way to share the blessed news of your impending arrival.